Re: OT - impulse response recording

Am 30.01.2011 13:22, schrieb Arnold Krille:
On Sunday 30 January 2011 11:34:31 Hartmut Noack wrote:
Am 28.01.2011 13:23, schrieb fons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 01:40:00AM -0500, Michal Seta wrote:
A friend of mine would like to record some impulse response of various
spaces.  I don't know the details nor the ultimate goal of this
undertaking but the problem was about the bst equipment for such
recordings.  I know a loud signal is needed (she has a starter gun for
that purpose) but unclear about what kind of microphones should be
used.  Any tips?  Ideas? experiences?

Starter guns, electric sparks, exploding balloons or preservatives,
etc. are not the best way to do this. You get a much more accurate
result and a much better S/N ratio using a sine sweep and deconvolution
instead.

This is true if you want perfectly exact, high fidelity, realistic
response-files of real rooms.

But if you just want files, that produce interesting sounding
reverb-effects, enything that fits, fits.

I use to record rooms using my mobile-phones puny videofunction, the
built-in micro and finger snapping ;-)
Not hi-fi at all and I would distribute these files claiming they would
be something like tools to reproduce the original rooms. But I like,
what I hear, if I load them into a convolver....

Using a mobile phone to play the sinus-sweep

I dont really believe in the built-in speakers. Especially if we talk about frequencies below 150Hz ;-)

and record it with a small mp3-
player should give you the ability to "measure" different source and target
positions in the acoustic space :-)

Gotta try that some day.

IÂd be very interested in such a usage-scenario. I got an old Sharp-MD-recorder that came with a quite usable mini-mic...

Have fun,

Arnold