Re: OT: Electronic Music Degrees?

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 7:56 PM, Josh Lawrence <hardbop200@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
minimal background:  I went to college when I was 18, and in my youth
and stupidity, wasted the opportunity.  I went to work in the IT field
and have done reasonably well, but the 8 - 5 corporate grind is
destroying my soul.  I'm now 35 and have a family.

is there such a thing as electronic music-related degrees (undergrad)
in the US?  or, are there composition degrees that primarily focus on
electronic methods?  I'm considering going back to school, and I would
like to investigate this possibility, if it exists.

I'm going to sort of play devil's advocate here and recommend that you not study electronic music as an undergrad.

Even though I'd advocate that you pursue just what you want to do, you might not have to go through all the BS that comes with getting a BA in fine arts.  The graduate degree is where you'll be able to make a career for yourself in computer music/audio and it usually comes with a (mediocre) job teaching or doing research.

Your admission to a music program does not often depend on having required credentials, but your "fit" with the program/advisers.  So, you could do anything you want for your undergrad, perhaps more like EECS, that won't require as much time/effort outside of your established skills.

Full disclosure here:  I'm nearly 30, and left the career academic track in audio/acoustics to take on a job in IT.  Now, it crushes my soul too, but I'm making the best of it by building skills that I'll use in academics (computer programming and parallel computing).

sorry for the off-topic post.

thanks,

Josh

--