Re: new Csound piece

Robin Gareus wrote:
On 01/06/2011 02:05 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
   I'm curious as to any forums where people share the code/setups for
compositions like this.

I'd be interested in those as well.

http://www.csounds.com

Best place to start. Code, compositions, instruments, blogs, etc.

I've played a bit with CSound, ChucK, Super
Collider, etc., but never made much headway on my own. Having access
to some musically interesting code would likely spur my learning.

I don't know the details on "Quietly Scatter" but it sounds very much
like it was entirely composed (or preformed live) with AVSynthesis.

It's all composed. AVS does include a realtime UI but I don't make use of it. Jean-Pierre's work shows off AVS's realtime interactive capabilities.

The program includes a variety of composition interfaces. Most of my work uses one of the sequencers, with occasionally the CMask UI.

AVSynthesis abstracts the audio-synth and the resulting Csound files are
close to unreadable. I tried to extract some instruments from a few
soundscapes that I've created with AVSynthesis and it is no fun.

Hear the man. If you're looking for a readable score generator, look elsewheres.

An example dumped Csound orchestra+score from AVS look like
http://rg42.org/_media/wiki/avs-csound.tgz - you should be able to play
it with ./play.sh included in the tgz.

It is possible to exchange AVSynthesis .xml files, though (you don't
need the video-textures to render the sound). But I don't think you'll
learn much from those.

I do a fair amount of detail work through the XML file. A neat trick lets me write to it during a session, so I can fine-tune settings as I go.

Nevertheless, while AVS does magic, Dave did a great job composing
arranging this piece. ..but again that's something one can _not_ learn
by looking at the score or the source, though it can be handy to have a
look a at few arrangements.

Jean-Pierre refers to AVS as an instrument. It takes a while to learn how to play it.

For me, it's a rich composition environment. I still feel like a beginner with it - there are instruments and effects I haven't tried yet - and it remains my preferred Csound environment.

BTW AVS is available from http://avsynthesis.blogspot.com/ - Jean-Pierre Lemoine did an amazing job!

Amen to that. Ditto to the amazing work from the Csound and OpenGL development communities.

   Also, what about mash ups of stuff like this?

Cheers,
Mark

Mark, after looking up "define: mashup" I have to say I'm not sure. :) Other Csound users are on this list, they may be able to tell you.

Best,

dp