Re: DIY 2string bass

On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 13:31:19 +1300
Robin Paulson <robin.paulson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 4 January 2011 12:24, Renato <rennabh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > this has been so fun for me I figured it could be for some of you
> > also... Today in 2-3 hours I've built a 2 string fretless bass
> > following more or less this instructable:
> >
> > http://www.instructables.com/id/2-String-Paddle-Bass/
> >

> > short demo (sorry for unfriendly site... don't know where else to
> > put it):
> > http://www.mediafire.com/?rm3wjl3rakmj36h
> >
> > It's incredible the sound it has considering it's a piezo stuck
> > between some scrap wood and weed-eater strings
>
> cool, looks great - i'll have a listen when i get home. i'd be
> intrigued to see some pics of this; i'm particularly interested in the
> wood you used - obtaining a kayak paddle, only to trash it seems a bit
> over the top

here it is:
http://imgur.com/kn3hX
nothing particularly thought, it's just some wood I had lying around...
I think it was used as decorative in the house, put between the floor
and the wall - like you can see also in the lower right of the photo,
the darker wood on the feet of the wall.

Things that can be improved:
*Machine Heads. I used those of a classical guitar, but they're way too
thin for bass cords. I'm thinking of an easy and cheap way to do some,
cause spending at least 40â for new ones seems nonsense on this project
*Gauge of strings. ATM the thick one is really too thick..
*Sanding the back or covering it up with something smooth, to avoid
getting wood chips in your thumb when you move on the neck.
*Adding a zener diode.

Other than that I'm very happy with it

renato