Re: Ardour and xrun markers

On 01/04/2011 02:19 AM, lanas wrote:
On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 19:46:11 -0500, Paul
Davis<paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote :

I'm using a rather 'old' Ardour version eg. 2.4.1.

i believe that the question was answered, but here's one for you:
what is the justification for continuing to use such an ancient
version of Ardour? there are probably 300-400 bugs fixed since
then, some of them very serious ones.

I'm not too keen about updating Fedora 8.  Everything works OK.  When
I want to record things it works.  I have seen too numerous problems
when doing other updates.

But I would like to get bug fixes and I'm quite interested in trying
out the upcoming new Ardour with MIDI sequencing support.

I used to build my own Linux systems (LFS, BLFS), some 8 years ago,
for both home and work. This is how I started with Linux MIDI.  I've
seen some software that is difficult to build, but not that much, all
in all.  I have never built Ardour.  Are the requierements flexible
enough to make it compile-able using gcc 4.1.2 and GTK 2.0 ?  I could
be interested in compiling the latest sources.

quoting myself here because i'm lazy:

Test new releases of the software you use, frequently. Yes, that can
be a hassle. But imagine this: you are a programmer who has just
completed a frantic all-weekend hack, your software is now totally
bug-free and has tons of cool new features. Now you want all the
world to share it and rejoice. Yet, your users keep asking you to
support some release thatâs two years old. Not fun. However, since
there is no money, what else is there to drive people but fun? Of
course, nobody wants you to wreck your production machine every other
day with risky updates. Still, try to track current developments: you
will find that developers are more responsive to issues with releases
they work on and use themselves. Itâs some extra work, but think of
it as your licensing fee.

(from an editorial in econtact magazine, http://cecpublic.pbworks.com/w/page/13063882/OpensourceEditorial)