Re: seeking "fresh" way to process/shape human whisper in real-time

Philipp Ãberbacher wrote:
Excerpts from ico's message of 2010-12-22 20:37:23 +0100:
Hi all,

I've been battling a kind of a dsp-writer's-block as of late. Namely, I am
dealing with a project where (at least as of right now) I would like to explore
human whisper and its percussive/rhythmic power. This would take place in an
ensemble of "voices." I am also looking to combine whisper with some sort of
DSP. Obviously vocoder comes as one of the obvious choices but it sounds IMHO
cliche and as a result I would like to avoid it as much as possible (unless I
can somehow come up with a cool spin on it which I haven't yet). I also tried
amp mod, additive, filtering, etc., but none of these struck me as something
interesting. I do think delays will be fine in terms of "punctuating" the
overall pattern but I think this should take place at the end of the DSP chain.
Granular synthesis is also a consideration but I've done so much of it over the
past years I am hoping to do something different.

So, as of right now I have:

1) whisper
2) ???
3) delays
4) profit! :-)

Given the mental constipation I have been battling particularly over the past
couple of days, I wanted to turn to you my fellow LA* enthusiasts for some
thoughts/ideas/inspiration. Your help would be most appreciated and I will
gladly credit your ideas in the final piece.

Many thanks!

For me the obvious thing to do would be something spatial. Imagine
whispering all around you, different voices, moving, saying strange
things.
Quite cliche too, but I imagine it could also be a lot of fun.

That would be very interesting using ambisonics. Would make a neat soundtrack for a mysterious magical ritual or such.

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx