Re: Multiple sound cards

On 12/16/2010 09:28 AM, Peter Nelson wrote:
On Thu, 2010-12-16 at 03:40 +0100, ailo wrote:

Also, the only method that works for me starting jack is from the
command line:
jackd -d alsa -C multi_capture -P multi_playback.

I'm also wondering about the spdif sync method. In this .asoundrc,
digital ins and outs are not dealt with. Isn't this needed in order to
sync the cards?

Qjackctl is well behaved there: although it provides device drop downs,
you can also just type the device names in.

The S/PDIF synchronisation should be provided by the card's hardware and
settings (envy24control ->  Hardware Settings ->  Master Clock ->  S/PDIF
in, on one of the cards)

I did this, using a normal audio cable. It seems to work.
At first my changed settings had no effect, since changing spdif settings on envy24control didn't seem to work while jack was running.

Peter.

P.S. When someone asks you to type "ls -l ~/.asoundrc", it's rather
helpful, in a remote diagnostics situation, to just do that instead of
changing it to "ls -l .asoundrc"

Yes, thank you. Making too many assumptions seems to be a mental disease of mine. I do try to do things by the letter, or try the simple solutions first for that matter :). In my defence, I am a musician first and a Linux enthusiast second.

ailo