Re: jackd in realtime as user: a no-go in spite of modifying limits.conf

Paul Davis wrote:

ALL of the tweaking required in Linux has to do with removing,
reducing or getting around these limits to access. if you build your
own kernel the RT patches and with a 2 line patch that allows RT
scheduling for anything and memlock for anything, then you're
basically good to go.

As I recently wrote elsewhere: I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 10.04 (32-bit plain-vanilla) on my secondary machine in hopes of eliminating some performance problems with Ardour. Here's what I did to set it up after the default installation :

1. Added myself to the Audio group;
2. Added the necessary tweaks to limits.conf (does it still matter for an rt kernel ?);
3. Installed the rt kernel from Synaptic;
4. Ran update-grub;
5. Rebooted to a nice new low-latency system;
6. Configured QJackCtl for my devices.

All that must have taken a total of about 15 minutes. No need for UStudio, I can install a variety of A/V packages from Synaptic (though I compile all my main music & sound apps).

A far, far cry from the bad old days. Ubuntu's come a long way too.

And btw, the performance problem with Ardour is gone. :)

Best,

dp