Re: [Jack-Devel] zombification behaviour...

I use jack2 on a uniprocessor system. I either don't use a lot of jack clients (compared to many LAU folk, probably true) or the ones I use are all well-behaving JACK clients. Haven't had it get more than maybe 8% CPU usage.

torbenh wrote:
hi... i thought i take this to lau to get an impression on users
feelings.

here is the story. i basically wanted to improve the heuristics for
client zombification. i wanted jack to only kick clients which take a
whole cpu slice. the result would be that you can overload the cpu
with well behaving clients, and jack would not act on it.

the result in a synchronous jackd (jackd1/tschack or jackd2 -S)
would be continuous xruns, and probably bad noise.

the problem is that its not 100% possible to identify the bad client,
and its always possible, that we might kick an inocent client.

so many people on jack-dev advocate not kicking any client (this is what
jack2 does) jack2 users probably have an SMP system, so jack RT load at
100% doesnt mean their system is unresponsive.

for UP users it might make sense to stop processing after a continous
series of timeouts, so that the user can fix things up.