Re: In Search of The Unicorn

On 11/08/2010 08:55 AM, Ken Restivo wrote:
A mythical beast, rumored to exist, but never actually seen. Others have tried,  but failed, to locate it. I now join the search. This beast is:

1) USB 1.0 "class compliant"-- NOT USB 2.0 -- and thus works with Linux
2) Is well and truly supported by ALSA.
3) Has FOUR outputs and 2-4 inputs, all usable from within JACK, with good professional quality DAC/ADCs. 4) The outputs and inputs are balanced and applicable for low or high impedance (probably with a switch), and have TRS 1/4" jacks or XLR or both.
5) Does not cost an arm and a leg.

This does not mean the FastTrack Pro! Sure it SAYS it has 4 channels, but only two are accessible from JACK. I have one and have used it for years, but I now need more outputs. And, also, the output of the "other" 4 channels is just RCAs. I need 4 channels output, USB1.0, 44.1Khz/24bit. I could use a cheap 5:1 home-theater USB fob type interface, but the sound  quality would probably suck, and it sure won't give me balanced outs.

Does this Unicorn exist? Anyone seen one?

No, but if you can live with 48/16 instead of 24 bit, and with RCA-outputs, the (no longer produced) Terratec "Producer Phase24 USB" does the trick. I just tested this. It might just be that the Terratec "DMX 6Fire USB" works the same way, but somebody else should confirm that.

Btw.: Did you try the FastTrack Pro with 48/16? Choosing between 48/24 and 48/16 also means choosing between 2 or 6 output channels on my USB interface.

/ Hans