Re: USB soundcard recommendation

Arnold Krille wrote:
On Sunday 03 October 2010 12:41:30 allcoms wrote:
Hi

Seeing as we have the ability, we'd like to record and mix @ 96Khz but
my band mates internal laptop sound chipset can't do any better than
48Khz hence he can't use it for mixing and he's looking out for
something that'd work well with ALSA thats guaranteed to be able to
run JACK (at least for playback) at 24-bit/ 96Khz.

I am not so sure you will get that many recommendations given that you seem to need 96kHz. The problem is that usb1.1 doesn't have enough bandwidth to do 96kHz, at least not when there is two channels each for input and output.

Yah, my UCA202 can do input or output @ 48KHz, but not both simultaneously. Overloads the USB port.

And usb2 didn't have an audio-standard for a long time, so all devices use their own protocol and therefor don't really have a linux-driver.

Actually, my understanding is that there has been a USB2 audio standard for quite a while, but no vendors have ever made a device compliant with it.

If your laptop allows it, I can recommend a firewire-device like the focusrite saffire pro24 which would do 4 analog inputs and 6 analog outputs at 44kHz, 48kHz and 96kHz. And additionally has spdif io and an adat input. And the price is somewhere around 300€.

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx