Re: [alsa-devel] Terratec EWS88D (ice1712) optical stuck on ADAT (no IEC958 optical i/o)

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Alan Horstmann <gineera@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
May be helpful to use alsamixer (command-line pseudo graphical) - that should
present all the controls the driver provides.  Certainly I found that to be
the most useful way of understanding/operating the underlying controls.
(Which envy24control etc operate on top of).

It's hard to cut and paste from alsamixer(1) which is why I used amixer(1) and scripting to show what happens in alsamixer(1). The controls of interest,  'IEC958 Input Optical' 'IEC958 Input Optical' 'ADAT External Master Clock' 'ADAT Output Optical' 'ADAT Through' 'Enable ADAT' -- all appear in alsamixer(1) and they're all "stuck" at the current settings.

Using either 'm' or 'space' or any other means that would normally change a boolean value for other ALSA properties do nothing for the above values in alsamixer(1). Basically, it appears that the property toggles, and then flips right back to the previous state (because that's what ALSA says it's at).

Similarly, when set from the commandline, the ALSA result indicates the value stays the same:

amixer cset iface=MIXER,name='IEC958 Input Optical' true
numid=95,iface=MIXER,name='IEC958 Input Optical'
  ; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw------,values=1
  : values=off

I am fairly sure that the ice1712 driver has no run-time mechanism for
enabling/disabling the paired digital streams that are ADAT on EWS88D, and go
to/from the AK4524 codecs on most other versions.

Seems like there's something of it in the code, and certainly the Windows drivers and the hardware itself support this functionality. See also
  http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-kernel.git;a=blob_plain;f=sound/pci/ice1712/ews.c;hb=HEAD

static struct snd_kcontrol_new snd_ice1712_ews88d_controls[] __devinitdata = {
EWS88D_CONTROL(SNDRV_CTL_ELEM_IFACE_MIXER, "IEC958 Input Optical", 0, 1, 0), /* inverted */
EWS88D_CONTROL(SNDRV_CTL_ELEM_IFACE_MIXER, "ADAT Output Optical", 1, 0, 0),
EWS88D_CONTROL(SNDRV_CTL_ELEM_IFACE_MIXER, "ADAT External Master Clock", 2, 0, 0),
EWS88D_CONTROL(SNDRV_CTL_ELEM_IFACE_MIXER, "Enable ADAT", 3, 0, 0),
EWS88D_CONTROL(SNDRV_CTL_ELEM_IFACE_MIXER, "ADAT Through", 4, 1, 0),
};

It's almost like set/get aren't handling "boolean" correctly... And also, this "invert" thing looks suspect -- explanation???

static int snd_ice1712_ews88d_control_get(struct snd_kcontrol *kcontrol, struct snd_ctl_elem_value *ucontrol)
{
int invert = (kcontrol->private_value >> 8) & 1;
}
static int snd_ice1712_ews88d_control_put(struct snd_kcontrol *kcontrol, struct snd_ctl_elem_value *ucontrol)
{
int invert = (kcontrol->private_value >> 8) & 1;
}

 With the DMX6fire, which
normally has 3-pairs, I added a different register value used at start-up so
that 2 channel are not active (and picking up 'static' noise), but the other
ice1712's enable all 4 pairs always.

It is possible that the functions and controls have been coded from
data-sheets and never debugged on real hardware, or at least not in every
respect.  Perhaps others may know?

Hoping somebody knows. Or knows of some magic command or patch I can use to switch these inputs.

-- Niels
http://nielsmayer.com