Re: New Early Music made with Linux

On 09/03/2010 08:00 PM, Giso Grimm wrote:
Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
fun combination, early music and VR video...
at least the palestrina soundbite does not work, though. instead, your
provider throws up some really helpful advertisements.

Sorry, I will check. Anyway, the sound samples on the web are outdated,
I will replace them by samples of the CD.

ah, ok.

i'd be very interested to see you guys live at some point.

Next Sunday (Sept. 5th) in Großburgwedel near Hannover...

bad luck - that day is already occupied.

as to the mixing, i can see how it makes sense for most consumers to
have a very present, in-your-face mix to listen to in your car while
returning from a live concert, but i find the sound a tad too "loud" and
close-miked given the material and instruments. but then i have a taste
with no commercial potential whatsoever...

I have to admit that the room was not very easy to use: The church was
actually only the choir of a formerly much larger church. Where the
transept usually begins there was a large flat (sand stone) wall, with
quite distinct reflections. That (and also the presence of the
surrounding noises, wind and harvesters) forced us to the close mics.
But then, I like the presence, I like if you can hear the plain gut
strings rasp and squeak.

ah well, i was commenting on the example sounds on the website. i already got suspicious when i found your description of the miking a few mails down the thread, because that's definitely not what i was hearing...

next time you meet for a recording session, would you mind me crashing
the party with an ambisonic mike in the middle?

Sure, would be interesting. Actually, since the recording I bought a
TetraMic for the university I work for, I definitely would have used it
if I had had it already then...

Actually we plan a concert with Early Music, real time ambisonincs
processing and improvised modern dance (with tracking for 3d sound
interaction). But this is still in the planning phase.

do keep me posted!

best,

jörn