Re: re Subconscious Affecting Music

David Santamauro wrote:
On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 16:15:53 +0400
Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 3:49 PM, David Santamauro
<david.santamauro@xxxxxxxxx
wrote:
On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 12:21:27 +0400
Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

don't. But commercial art is not art and those products are not
worth anybody's attention. Even the best of them.

Really?

So any commissioned work by the great masters throughout the
ages is not worth attention? I beg to differ.

David

Why do you rephrase me? I did not say anything about commissioned
works by great masters.

fair enough. My point is simply that such a broad stroke as "commercial
art is not art" is just your opinion (which you are entitled) but
clearly there are many magnificent works that have been created for the
masses in search of fame and fortune that are worthy of attention.

But they weren't created for the masses. They commissioned and paid for by the wealthy rulers, for themselves. They were done because someone paid the artist to do them. Therefore, they are commercial art.

Most great composers were/are performers that needed to display their
virtuosity in order to "break into the scene", Bach, Mozart and
Beethoven being no exceptions.

They did it to make a living. The Brandenburg Concerti were written for one purpose: to convince a wealthy ruler to give Bach a job.

Are we to write off these works and pay them no attention?

I prefer to write off the works that communicate nothing. As my artist daughter would say it, "It's just a spot on the wall."

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx