Re: irq sharing

Mark Knecht wrote:
On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 2:08 AM, david <gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
David Santamauro wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 12:46:06 -0700
Niels Mayer <nielsmayer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 8:13 AM, David Santamauro <
david.santamauro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

thanks for the time. I only have one PCI slot, but 3 empty PCI-x
slots.

I basically unplugged all USB devices as well as shut off both
network interfaces and on board audio interface in the bios and the
noise persists ...

Not sure what to try next, this was a shot-in-the-dark.
If you think it's a interrupt-sharing issue, consider using a
pcie-to-pci riser to plug in your card. Apparently, this way of doing
things may ensure less bus contention:

http://old.nabble.com/does-a-pci-e-x1-to-pci-adapter-work-with-Linux-soundcards-and-existing-drivers--td29444687.html

Also, be sure that interrupt contention is really the problem. If
it's a constant noise, there's a better chance that it's a different
problem. One issue is that your recording software may not be using
the same bit depth, alignment, or complement as what the card
expects. I can get this effect on output, for example, simply by
using 'mplayer'
interesting angle ...
envy24control (and the new mudita24) register this noise on input
whether devices are plugged in or not. So the noise is clearly coming
from either the delta breakout, card or driver. I've ruled out the
breakout box and card simply by the fact that the noise doesn't exist
on the same hardware with windows7 drivers.
Or the Windows drivers are doing something that removes the noise?

I have a friend who has a Delta 1010LT in his WindowsXP-based audio
workstation. He's never said anything about input noise.

That would imply that everyone using a 1010LT in Linux would
experience the same noise, correct?

If I understand, you are saying that the card, with nothing plugged
into it, shows noise coming out of the card? If so it sounds like a
bad card.

Oh, I'm not the original poster. Although that could be something the original poster might try. IIRC, he mentioned that the noise isn't there under Windows7 or 32-bit Linux. Only 64-bit Linux.

If he's local can you ask your Windows friend to plug your card into
his system for testing and see if it's noisy or not? Good weekend
project if he's game.

That's worth checking.

Another a idea for original poster: Boot your existing hardware from a live Linux audio distro such as Ubuntu Studio or Musix or ArtistX or some such, and see if the noise exists. Just in case it's some obscure setting somewhere?

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx