Re: Help finding parts for building a hardware system

AudioPhile 2496 has RCA jacks, works very very well with Linux.

Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:

    e.  I did a large number of Google searches.  Found zero.  This
    didn't make sense to me, because I had just visited a local
    gamer-oriented PC store, and had seen an under-the-TV PC box shaped
    like a thick VCR which had RCA jacks for audio.  So I decided that I
    had to go beyond Google.  I first checked the Creative Labs web
    site's full line, and although RCA jacks weren't in any description
    (!), they were visible (!!!!) in two of the
    pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.  So I knew they existed.  As with most
    things Creative Labs which are not cheapies, the ones I found there
    were rather expensive.  So I did some research using past reports on
    Linux Audio lists, found a make appearing to do very well
    (AudioTrak), found a model with RCA jacks using the photographs of
    cards, found a very good supplier (floridamusicco.com) of my chosen
    card (AudioTrak Prodigy HD2), put it in, and found that it works
    beautifully.  Not only does it work beautifully, but the quality of
    its electronics are visibly extraordinary.  I have been working off
    and on in hardware since 1981, and this card reminds me of some of
    the real beauties made years ago.  DIP sockets for op-amps.  Thick
    sturdy board, white in color to expose any issues.  Big strong
    capacitors, no cheapies.  And the price is very good considering its
    capability.  The card can do 192 kbps :-)  I don't use it at more
    than 96 kbps, and usually 48 kbps, because more takes up CPU!

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx