Re: new AVS video/audio

Atte André Jensen wrote:
On 2010-07-07 14:46, Dave Phillips wrote:

Created with AVSynthesis (http://avsynthesis.blogspot.com/). Converted
to YouTube video with WinFF.

Dark stuff, best heard/seen with low or no ambient light.

Some very, very good textures you got going there. Are they all synthesized or are there samples involved?

All synthesized with the analog synth module in AVS. Three instances are used:

analog + Moog filter
analog + waveguide filter
analog + waveguide filter + Moog filter

Everything treated to a very fine global reverb.

Somehow I feel the music could be improved, though. After about 1:30-1:45 I found myself wishing for some change in pace/texture/orchestration/dynamics/anything. What about adding more contrast to a middle part (kind of what you're doing on the video side). The first that comes to my mind is some 12-tone-ish pizzicato kind-of vibe, although that would probably not fit your musical idea...

It's definitely experimental. I used the AVS Cmask tools to create tendency masks, so the outcome varies from performance to performance.

I also regard this sort of thing as available for anyone else to hack away at, i.e. anyone is welcome to make use of it as they like. Feel free to fit it with your musical ideas too. :)

Thanks for sharing, I've been meaning to dig into AVSynthesis, and this makes me even more curious!

Thanks for listening/watching, Atte. AVS is rather difficult to get going, it has a cryptic GUI, and it takes some time to master. But I like it a lot, it's my favorite tool for composing with Csound, and I think its visuals can be very cool.

Best,

dp