Re: Paper on new methods of notation

david wrote:
David Collins wrote:
Hi,

I've written a short paper on different methods of notation which have evolved recently, and thought that some readers here might be interested. The paper is available at http://indigo.uk.to/~david/notes/music/notation.pdf .

The primary languages discussed are Mondrian, Abc notation, Csound, and Lilypond.

Hmm, I thought Lilypond was just software for producing very good quality traditional Western music notation. It's a different method?

Oh, sorry, I read your "different methods of notation" as different forms of music notation - IOW, something different from traditional Western music notation. Csound's a programming language, I guess that could be considered a form of music notation, but I'd consider that one specialized for "reading" by Csound. Like a player piano scroll is specialized for reading by a player piano.

I just don't think of them as "music notation". I'm probably too sheet-music oriented.

Excuse me, I need to go notate this new thing called "rock music". I have hammer and chisel, what's the best kind of stone to notate "rock music" with? ;-)

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx