Re: audacity alternative?

Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
david wrote:
cal wrote:

The humble hda can perform ridiculously well for what it is. I'd
recommend
replacing the '-n2' with '-S -n3'. The '-p1024' should be able to go
down to
'-p256' (or even lower) as well.
Also, I think the HDA's native rate is 48000, not 44100. At least the
ones in my two laptops are.

I've wondered about this native rate. I always set my onboard cards to
48Khz too but I've read here and there that it shouldn't matter,
especially with modern onboard cards. And afaik -n3 is only useful with
USB1 cards that prefer a latency that is a multiple of their interrupt
period
(http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2009-October/064013.html).

Best,

Jeremy

Jeremy, cal, david,
Sorry I didn't react sooner but I discovered yesterday evening that my provider has forgotten to renew the ssl certificate for my maildomain and as I use fetchmail with full check of ssl certificate it wouldn't fetch my E-mail. And only this morning I found out what the problem was and how to circumvent it and now my system is backing up several systems (backuppc) and even this fast beast is running at 50% (on 4 cores) so I don't think testing for XRUNS is useful. As soon as this is complete, however, I wil try the given suggestions and report back. Of course I blame pulsaudio as I don't think that the simple commando pulseaudio -k will really stop it and removing is a somewhat complicated process. I also don't know if I have to install the special short-latency patches as I think it is ridiculous that a system like this can play without a problem video's with sound an image and the simple playback of audio gives so many problems. I wonder if upgrading to Lucy gives better audio performance.
Joep