Re: [LAD] Ardour/Jack issue on Ubuntu Jaunty netbook

Hi Aaron,

(FYI, I dropped the LAD list in replying.)

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010, Aaron Krister Johnson wrote:

I have a young bright-eyed, bright-eared 12-year old composition student
working on a ASUS EEE-PC netbook. On my advice he switched over to Ubuntu
[snip]
1) Ardour works fine as it should 90% of the time, except on a netbook, the
windows fail to maximize correctly to available screen real estate (1024x600

Yes, a stock install of Ardour is too large to fit on a 1024x600 screen. You'll need a patched version of Ardour to get it to fit nicely on the screen.

I think), e.g., when you scroll down, you get the lowest ardour track
leaving video trails, and basically it looks like a huge GTK bug of some
sort---the interaction with the pointer of course becomes impossible. On my

This sounds like a video driver (xorg) problem, to me. What's the video card in that thing?

2) My student is reporting that at least on his Ubuntu machine, he's having
a problem getting sound consistently out of Ardour: sometimes, he says, the
mixer seems to randomly disconnect the tracks from the "Master Out" bus, and
sometimes he reports that jack misbehaves and that he cannot reconnect to
it. I'm going to try to get to the bottom of it, but I can report that I've
experienced similar things on rare occasions (Ardour 2.8.7, and jack 0.118.0
on Arch, maybe Ubuntu has other destructive aspects?), although I'm much

Did you install a low-latency kernel?

Also, I would consider switching to Jack2, since it won't kick you out if there's a hiccup.

-gabriel