Re: stuttering sound using vmware in ubuntu karmic

Brett McCoy wrote:
On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 8:47 AM, Joep L. Blom <jlblom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What kind of audio device are you using? You can always turn off
pulseaudio... I wouldn't expect audio performance to be stellar inside
a VM, especially if you are using any kinds of samples for playback.
Is it possible to have Finale send MIDI to Linux and have Linux do the
audio playback using something like Fluidsynth?

Alternatively, if you want an all Linux solution, use Lilypond for
your music notation! I moved away from GUI notation apps to Lilypond
and have never looked back.

-- Brett

Brett,
Thanks for the fast answer. I arrange (and write) the last 6 years with Finale and am rather accomplished with it. I have tried (and still try) Musescore, but that is still lacking features I need (but it is coming). I am an arranger who want to hear what is written every say 4 bars or more as I arrange as well for Big Band as for 2 piano's. I have looked at Lilypond I think 8 years ago but I found it then too cumbersome and a very steep learning curve. The audio device I use is the built-in audio by NVIDIA (Device manager says it is a HDA Nvidia sound card) Although I'm a semi-professional jazz pianist (I'm retired) I don't care much for the audio from my computer. If I want to listen I use my sound-system. Since I recently can record with the Zoom R16 I burn it on rewritable CD's and if I want to record permanently I write on DVD (as that is 24-bit). You says that pulseaudio can be turned off? How? I thought it so deep - at least in Ubuntu - in the system that than all sound stops. O by the way, I have tried virtualbox instead of vmware but als the sound was lousy and moreover it played the the finale files 4 times slower than was original. In vmware I have Finale running via MIDI but that doesn't make any difference.
Maybe you or somebody else has some suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Joep