Re: Samples + Synthesis synth?

On Mon, 17 May 2010, Andrew C wrote:

Anyone know of any linux synths out there that combine samples with
synthesis? I was thinking sort of like Sequential Circuit's Prophet VS?

The Prophet boils down to what you'd call a "Virtual Analog" synth. The innards are digital, but the ideas are modeled after the way that analog synths were done.

Linux synths in the class of 'virtual analog' include ZynAddSubFX (and Yoshimi), Alsa Modular Synth (ams). There's probably others I haven't thought of. For ams, I don't think there's any pre-fab'd way to load a misc. sample file as a base waveform... but I don't think it would be rocket science for that to be added.

In addition, the "live audio coding" paradigm has a lot of flexibility in this realm, and some of PureData's (pd) examples are doing this sort of things.

Hope this helps,
Gabriel