Re: CDRDAO speed, CRC errors, blah

Arnold Krille wrote:
On Sunday 25 April 2010 01:34:12 Fons Adriaensen wrote:
Writeable CDs don't have pits, either the color or the
reflectivity of the surface is modified by heating it.
Both require the laser power to be controlled in function
of write speed.

Afaik writeable CDs _do_ use pits. They are created when the laser heats up the colour-bubbles so they expand and raise the reflective layer.

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-R#Writing_methods):

"A CD recorder writes data to a CD-R disc by pulsing its laser to heat areas of the organic dye layer. The writing process does not produce indentations (pits); instead, the heat permanently changes the optical properties of the dye, changing the reflectivity of those areas. Using a low laser power, so as not to further alter the dye, the disc is read back in the same way as a CD-ROM. However, the reflected light is modulated not by pits, but by the alternating regions of heated and unaltered dye."

Another (older, 2003) article I found said that there are 3 different ways of marking the track (without mentioning what the 3 different ways WERE), and the marks are called "pits" whether or not there's a pit there, an area of changed dye, or a "bubble".

Non-writable optical discs use different technology. From http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/cd1.htm:

"A CD is a fairly simple piece of plastic, about four one-hundredths (4/100) of an inch (1.2 mm) thick. Most of a CD consists of an injection-molded piece of clear polycarbonate plastic. During manufacturing, this plastic is impressed with microscopic bumps arranged as a single, continuous, extremely long spiral track of data. We'll return to the bumps in a moment. Once the clear piece of polycarbonate is formed, a thin, reflective aluminum layer is sputtered onto the disc, covering the bumps. Then a thin acrylic layer is sprayed over the aluminum to protect it. The label is then printed onto the acrylic."

And continuing on to page 3:
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/cd3.htm

"The elongated bumps that make up the track are each 0.5 microns wide, a minimum of 0.83 microns long and 125 nanometers high. (A nanometer is a billionth of a meter.) ... You will often read about "pits" on a CD instead of bumps. They appear as pits on the aluminum side, but on the side the laser reads from, they are bumps."

So, since non-writable CD media appeared first and actually had pits/bumps, I guess it was logical to apply the same terminology to the newfangled CD-R and CD-RW media even when they don't have pits.

I always thought lasers actually burned holes in the dye layer, so the scanning laser's beam would be reflected back. But, then, I always thought an interesting laser printing technology would be to use a laser that actually burnt dots on the paper (no need for toner cartridges or passing the printed page through a hot press to melt the plastic onto the paper).

Disclaimer: I've been found wrong in the past...

But neither of us have ever been found wrong in the future... ;-)

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx