Re: Ascension: Music made in Linux

On 01/31/2010 03:21 PM, michael noble wrote:

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I tried to work with splitting up the frequency range a bit. It's a bit of a hassle to arrange. Does anyone know of something like a 30 band parametric which can output 30 channels of stereo? That would be a handy tool.

Not exactly what you are after, but FreqTweak is good for experimenting with this kind of processing. If you find a frequency band and filter combination that works you can then replicate in ardour with a ladspa chain from a bandpass filter. At least that's how I'd approach it.

-omjn

Thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a shot but it didn't really help. Instead I used a glame butterworth lowpass fed into a butterworth highpass to isolate the bass end and a highpass feed into a low pass to isolate the middle/high end. I sent that into the swh 3 band parametric eq. That combo has isolated and boosted the most important sounds a lot but it now sounds like the track has been botoxed :-)

Anyway, I am uploading the result. Will be finished in 5 mins. This one is on a DnB tip. I'm interested in suggestions for how to make it more interesting. Does it need a drum track, vocals, other samples added?

http://djcj.org/audio/kotau/ascension/ascension_headspace.ogg
60MB - 76mins

Cheers.

Patrick Shirkey