Re: sound problems in Arch Linux

2009/11/11 Arnold Krille <arnold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Tuesday 10 November 2009 20:08:02 Preston C. wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 3:51 AM, Clemens Ladisch <clemens@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > This message is trying to tell you that alsamixer did not find any
> > playback controls for this device.  The reason for this might be that
> > your device actually does not have any playback controls.
> > This is common with USB devices; you have to use the hardware controls
> > of the device itself.
> I do not understand? How could alsamixer not require playback
> controls? Would you mind explaining further?

Hardware mixer controls != playback controls !!!

Alsamixer accesses the hardware mixer of the soundcards/-devices. And most
USB-devices don't have a hardware mixer. At least it is not accessible via
software, just via the "hands on" hardware access :-)
Which is actually a good thing because its one place less where the volume set
to zero/mute gives you endless fights of getting sound of the speakers...

Have fun,

Arnold

My Zoom H2 when used as a USB devices introduces 0 controls, but I can monitor from it and record. I'm still not able to fix the latency issue I'm having there, or the fact that I hear the clean signal (going in to the computer) together with the processed one which is coming out from JACK. I just gave up because it wasn't my intention to make it do anything, just curious to see how it worked.