Re: rosegarden midi editor woes

Message: 10
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 22:20:38 +0200
From: Dieter Plaetinck <dieter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: rosegarden midi editor woes
To: linux-audio-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi guys,
I'm using rosegarden 1.7.3 (=latest release)

I think this is the best tool to do midi editing for drums on Linux
(please tell me if I'm wrong), but it does do some weird things which
get on my nerves:

- inability to properly select (groups of) notes: frequently it selects
 notes I didn't click, or it selects a group when I just want one
 note, etc
I don't see this behaviour with a proper zoom. BTW, a good trick is Shift + click in the piano roll (say C1):
All the C1 notes will be selected.

- inability to properly insert notes: when i insert 1 1/32 note, and
 then want to do one next to it, it removes the one i just insert
 (even with quantize set to 1/32)

Again an improper zoom level? Anyway, what editor do you use? The percussion matrix editor I guess? I like more the matrix editor even for drums. I think it responds better with low zoom levels.

- copy paste behavior: when pasting, it pastes the notes at the
 beginning of the song (is this pebcak?)

Yes, you can move forwards and backwards the edit cursor with the right and left arrows.
Notes will be pasted at this point.

- when zooming in/out, the song jumps back to the beginning, even if
 the 'time pointer' is somewhere else.

The zoom focus point is the edit cursor.

i could mention some more things, it only takes me a couple of minutes
to start hitting time-wasting oddities.

anyone had similar issues? can it be solved? is there something better
then rosegarden?
I love hydrogen to edit drums. You can use 'klick -T -f /path/to/tempomap'  (klick as master jack and reading a tempo map in text mode, check klick) and choose Jack Transport in hydrogen if you don't want a fixed tempo.

i tried openoctave midi but found it to be even more
buggy then rosegarden (doesn't even render correctly)

thanks for your help
Dieter

Cheers! Pablo