Re: Controllers and stuff for live performance

2009/10/12 david <gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Carlos Sanchiavedraz wrote:
Hi David,

2009/10/12 david <gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

   nescivi wrote:
    > On Sunday 11 October 2009 13:36:55 Carlos Sanchiavedraz wrote:
    >> Hi dear folks.

[...]

   I had a thought re keyboards (particularly the keys themselves). Why
   can't the surface of a key be a touchpad-like surface sensitive to
   pressure and even movement? So, for example, you could play a violin
   note, hold it, and use finger pressure and movement on the key surface
   itself to do vibrato the way a violinist would? That would go a long
   ways toward bringing human expressiveness back into playing the sounds
   of such expressive instruments as strings and woodwinds.

Yes, that would be great. But AFAIK the circuit inside keyboards just cares about keypresses; nothing about pressure or velocity, although maybe something could be hacked given the present keyswitches, electrical contacts (or I think capacitors on old ones), scan codes and other stuff.
Do you know any work about that?

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I was talking about musical keyboards, not computer keyboards ... although I suppose you that if you ganged some Trackpoints (IBM's little eraser pointer tool) together, you could get take advantage of the Trackpoint's directional abilities.

It was just an idea that I think would be great. Don't know if anyone is working on anything even remotely like it...

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ok :).

Then, I'm not sure, but I think what you refer is called "aftertouch":
http://www.google.com/search?q=aftertouch+keyboard

--
Carlos "sanchiavedraz"
* Musix GNU+Linux