Re: Sony's .fl Codec

Hi,

>Hmm, according to this
>http://stream-recorder.com/forum/cannot-remove-drm-fl-file-sony-ericsson-
>t1516.html?s=7bcb2305e1af656306e9f72a09ee5594 the file might be DRM-
>protected. In that case you can't play it on anything other than the
>phone.

And the phone is such a high-fidelity player, huh?

Didn't read the link, but this definitely has nothing to do with high fidelity and everything to do with greed and short sightedness.

She bought rather than stole these songs. This is the reward. Friends have
pirated mp3's galore.

These files ARE mp3's. Such files would normally have a "magic number'

They may be mp3s deep down but the DRM is probably a layer of encryption with a secret key. Without knowning the key it'll be hard.
No magic numbers will make them readable.

...  I suggest to return the songs, if possible.
And never, ever buy such again.

Microsofts response on a related question:
Q: 'If I buy these songs on your service — and they're locked to my phone — what happens when I upgrade my phone in six months' time?' A: 'Well, I think you know the answer to that.'"

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09%2F01%2F22%2F1914201

/Robert