Re: What Live is about (was: Re: ableton live in vmware)

On 09/01/2009 06:00 PM, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
GUI-wise, you could always add such a matrix to an existing
DAW/sequencer (not a small project, of course). But you need a backend
that can play any pattern any time, with a sync-to-beat trigger feature.
And live time stretching.

This is a useful comparison. IMO we don't need to implement the second and third features but they would be nice additions and are definitely useful.

So, none of the linux audio apps comes even close.

Several apps are closer than you are suggesting. What we need is momentum being built not the complete opposite.

A set of separate tools can never be a replacement (except with a
not-seen-before sophisticated level of optional integration, perhaps).

I believe this is where the thread is going already.

People can talk about the real or perceived shortcomings of linux audio
tools all day. Doesn't change a thing.

Often progress only happens in very small increments.

The vague and sometimes silly
comparisons and the very foggy ideas what some commercial apps actually
offer are damn frustrating. Would surprise me to read something *new*.

Charming. Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd