Re: back on topic (ableton-like tools for linux)

On 09/01/2009 11:48 AM, Ray Rashif wrote:
It's really a fun app, just like FL Studio. There're even people who're trying to rebrand and sell it.

Anyway, it's not really "simple". I've been arranging my synth tracks all from within LMMS, including full support for my favourite VSTi. And that was without any SDK very early on. That is why I don't have Qtractor or Rosegarden in my workflow, and have grown accustomed to managing MIDI with a separate app in an ALSA-only session.

With JACK and audio recording support, this will be just as promising as Ardour 3.

One thing that ardour, renoise, qtractor and lmms are missing when compared to AL is the sampler interface which is a core interface in the live performance model that AL provides.

Seems like a big omission to me that distances these apps quite severely from the AL model (for live performance) for anyone coming from that system. Probably also why some people compare lmms to fruity loops instead of AL.

I imagine it implies the apps are not designed for live object/sample based performance for AL users.

Cheers.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd