Re: all in ram?

----- "alex stone" <compose59@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I should add here, i'd still have the OS and LS on a HD in the sampler> box. But i'd like to have the whole thing run in ram, and boot only> from the HD.> > Alex.
I never did such a thing, but here is how I would try:1 - compile the kernel to only put what I need to let the hardware    run (so no modules for example, and only the file    system drivers for the harddisk, initrd, ramdisk)2 - make an initrd disk with a small system
The initrd minimal system would:3 - format a ramdisk file system "big enough"    (that depends on your setup)4 - copy everything from the HD to this ramdisk5 - do some kind of chroot and run you LS stuff
And roll on.Step 4 might take a while.Or not.You have to mount the harddisk, then cp all,then umount the harddisk. If you don't umountmaybe things will boot faster but there mightbe some disk latency at the beginning for thekernel has to copy data from harddisk to memorywhen you use it the first time. So I thinkyou want to umount.
How minimal can the initrd be? Very. Itdoesn't have a lot of things to do. Sinceyou know your hardware you can bypass a lotof tools run at startup by big distributions.(I have a bad internet access, so I can't lookfor links, but it should not be too hard. Knoppixhas an initrd, so does Debian, IIRC. There mustsome good doc somewhere.)
Just my fews cents.