Re: midi keyboards, jackd, low latency

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 4:20 PM, tizo <tizone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi there,

Sorry about my previous mail. I was just starting to write a draft
about the topics I want to ask, and I accidentally push the send
button.

Well, my goal is to play two midi keyboards, sending the events
through jackd, to qsynth. My computer is a Laptop HP 550, with HDA
Intel sound card, 3 GB of memory, and a Core 2 DUO CPU of 1.40 GHz. My
OS is UbuntuStudio 8.04, with kernel 2.6.24-23-rt.

First of all, I cannot run jackd without xruns, if I configure it with
32 frames per period, or less. I am running it as root, with realtime,
and a priority of 70. As soon as I run it, it starts to count xruns,
and I am only executing jackd.

32 frames per interrupt is VERY ambitious with an Intel HDA chipset. Its not impossible but every single part of your system has to be "just right" for this to work. I would start with a less ambitious goal first, and get some experience with the setup before trying to get all the way to this latency level.

moving to USB will likely make things worse. latencies like this are best accomplished with good, prosumer level PCI audio interfaces.

--p