Re: Are RT-patches needed anymore? (Was Re: >= 2.6.27 RT ETA?)

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 20:11:36 +0100Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Folderol wrote:> > > I do very little microphone recording, but when I do, I send a feed> > direct to the headphone amplifer, as well as to the soundcard. To make> > the actual recording I use timemachine which, via jack, is the only> > thing connected to the soundcard inputs. The outputs from the soundcard> > also go to the headphone amp, so I record while playing back all the> > synth stuff (and any previous recordings). Finally I use audacity to> > line up the vocal with everything else. In actual fact latency is set> > to 5.8mS on my machine but I doubt I'd notice anything if it was higher.> > Man, you really need to get your hands on a DAW, ardour comes to mind. > Your approach is very cumbersome and time consuming IMHO.>
Well, I've had a look at ardour and it goes right over my head (ataround 40,000 feet). I really don't have the time and patience to startall over again. I think a great deal of one's ENJOYMENT in one'sproductivity comes from familiarity, and I've only incrementally addedto my working style since my first MIDI setup in 1991.
I think, so far I've made a grand total of four vocal recordings, andthe method I used is relatively fast. Especially so when you considerI have literally taken years to develop some tunes. Also, forinstrumental work I usually record in one straight hit, controllingeverything from Rosegarden. The tune 'Lair Of The Dragon King' which Iput up on here some time ago uses this method and Rosegarden is incharge of all of the following in one session.
ZynAddSubFXQsynthHydrodgenjamin (two instances)
External MIDISound CanvasYamaha SY35
All connections eventually going to timemachine
-- Will J Godfreyhttp://www.musically.me.uk_______________________________________________Linux-audio-user mailing listLinux-audio-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx://lists.linuxaudio.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-audio-user