small usb/midi controllers

Hi,

I am interested in getting a midi controller with lots of knobs and sliders
for controlling soft synths, effects and my Roland Sonic Cell. The
keyboard I use doesn't have any controls but the keys (not even
pitch/modultation).

I've been looking at the 2 octave keyboards from novation, m-audio,
behringer and roland specifically. I also like the korg nanoKontrol.

Can anyone recomend something that works well with Alsa? Does anyone know
of any problems with using these through usb?

Thanks