Re: Synchronizing 2 computer with MIDI

2008/12/6 <torbenh@xxxxxx>
On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 02:02:53PM +0100, Mysth-R wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for my late answer
> 2008/11/30 <torbenh@xxxxxx>
>
> > On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 10:29:15AM +0100, Mysth-R wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Yesterday I tried with a friend of mine to synchronize our computers with
> > > simple midi cable.
> > > We just want to make music together, and synchronize, the transport AND
> > the
> > > tempo with a Master and a Slave.
> > >
> > > After hours and hours of tests, we just made the transport sync works.
> > But
> > > we couldn't sync the tempo.
> > >
> > > Someone told me on the #LAD IRC, about netjack, but it seems to be to
> > "loud"
> > > for what we want to do.
> >
> > can you explain loud ?
>
> Sorry for my bad english. I meant loud in the sense of to complicated,
> difficult. Because it is so simple with a midi cable. You wire it, and press
> play. and everything is ok.

aparently its not so simple, because you would have not written the
initial mail.
I personally would not find it simple, because my computer does not
have a midi port. But i cant think of a reasonable computer which
does not have a network card.

> > > In fact, most of the softs can sync themself each other with JACK
> > transport,
> > > but can't send Midi Time Code to the midi out.
> >
> > so why not use netjack ?
> > grab current jack release and go.
>
> I understood that the slave computer using netjack backend can't use audio,
> or through alsa_out and alsa_in.
> I own a firewire sound card, so I think this is not possible for me... is it
> ?

do you have to be the slave computer ?
i suspected, if you want to sync 2 computers, you would be in the same
room. So it does not look like its necesary to use 2 soundcards.

> > it now works over wireless. use celt codec to
> > reduce bitrate. should give you 4channels in both directions easiely.
> > and i guess you only want 8 channels in one direction.
>
> Does it offers good performances ? latencies speaking ?
> I can't really imagine how it works. and how to implement this solution.

wait for jack-0.116.1 to be released,
install on both machines.
connect machines to ethernet.

[option 1]
on hostA: run jackd -R -d net
on hostB: run jack_netsource -h hostA -P 6 -C 6 -l1

hostB is the one with soundcard running normal jackd.
start seq24 on hostB and hostA.

press play on hostB.

[option 2]
on hostA: run jackd -R -n synced_server -d net
on hostA: run jackd -R -d alsa
on hostB: run jack_netsource -h hostA -P 0 -C 0 -l1
(you might also use -l0)

on hostA: export JACK_DEFAULT_SERVER="synced_server"; seq24
on hostA: run softsynths on default server.
seq24 only speaks alsa sequencer anyways, not necesary to run inside
same jackd.

press play on hostB.

well... wireless can still dropout sometimes.

But ethernet is rocksolid.
(At least if you use jack-svn, expect jack-0.116.1 tomorrow)

i did not yet check how many channels you can do with 100Mbit,
but 10 in both directions worked ok with netjack-0.12.
I am talking about a roundtrip latency of 1 period, thats 5.8ms
for 256 samples. And 2.9ms for 128.

the transport synchronisation is latency compensated.

Yes we are playing in the same room. Sorry for my poor knoledges, but, it means that all, audio and midi event pass trough the ethernet cable ?
If I understand I use my computer normally, but I do not use my sound card, I use the network. And my friend will receive all the midi and sounds, and route them through his sound card ?
5.8 and 2.9ms are very exiting !
Is there any complete documentations on the net ?
What are your jack settings ?
I imagine there are some network settings too ?
Thank you for your answer.
cheers,
Mysth-R

--