Re: wine and sound

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Dave Phillips <dlphillips@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
rosea grammostola wrote:
I'm experimenting a bit with commercial software and wine. I'm not want to use it myself but want to show my friends what is possible.

I'm following this howto: http://www.davehayes.org/2007/04/27/howto-reaper-on-ubuntu-linux-with-wineasio

But when I start wine I get:

~$ winecfg
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on M Audio Audiophile 24/96, disabling mixer

This "error" simply indicates that there's no mixer element to your sound device. My M-Audio Delta 66 yields the same report. I think you can safely ignore it.

When I hit the sound tab, my system (ubuntu hardy) freezes and I've to reboot

What could this be?
A much more serious problem. I have no idea yet what's going on "behind the scenes" with sound on Ubuntu. Maybe a Pulseaudio problem ?

Best,

dp
Thanks for your reply.

Is pulseaudio useful? or can I remove it?