Re: pretty much frustrated about those rt-kernels!

Hi,
Since over three years jacklab try to find out what is the bestsupported rt-kernel on opensuse. The early self compiled 2.6.xrt-kernels broke a lot of drivers and it was not easy for users toextend them with kernel modules or drivers (for nvidia etc) and oftenthe audio priority was a showstopper (xruns!). We decided to rebuild anown rt-kernel (incl all suse patches) for JAD 1.0. (based on oS 10.2).
Since 10.3 opensuse offers a kernel-rt, but without the correspondingkernel modules nor kernel-rt-source for build up a proprietarynividia driver (needed for dualhead support) and not at least the "rtctick is to low" for Rosegarden.
The opensuse rt-kernel is not for musicians, it is for SLERT, anenterprise realtime linux. (btw: One of the former LAC founder andsynthgeek Matthias Nargoni is the Novell Manager for SLERT)
The rt-kernel for oS 11 also doesn't supported well by Suse, still nosources. But the experienced Suser (free suse package builder)Jan Engelhard (jengelh) now offers in his repository a good (mature andfast) rt kernel with nivida-gfx and some kernel modules. He have anopen ear for the needs of musicians. With the 2.6.25.8 (patched withrt6)  opensuse 11 has a better audio realtime then ever. I can use halfof the buffers that I needed with the rt-kernels from the past. The rtaudio performance is comparable to 64studio (my personal referenceaudio linux).
Packman offers most of the pro audio software we need, sincejacklab and packman joined forces by merging their repositories, and ifthere is something missing (like wineasio or dssi-vst), you will find itin the jacklab repo or in the 100 other repos around the opensuse buildserver. http://forum.jacklab.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=794
The situation on opensuse Linux is pretty good for musicians at thistime :) The next time the jacklab devel Olli Bengs (Applelonkel) hasplaned to release an installable live dvd named JAD 2.0, a remastered oS11 for musicians. The jacklab community is very enthusiastic about thisrelease, because it looks very good, also the 64-bit version (oS11 x86_64) works well on my test system.
have a nice day!Michael

Am Fri, 04 Jul 2008 16:05:30 +0200schrieb schoappied <schoappied@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi,> > I'm very much pist off about those real time kernels!!!> > Why is there no decent debian realtime kernel? If they can build > thousands of kernels for Debian, why not one decent real time> kernel?!?!?!?> > I'm using now one of musix, but I can't build my nvidia driver on it.> > Thats a little problem, but with my normal debian kernel I have> wireless internet connection with one click...  but  6 of the 10> times on that rt-kernel is failed :/ Why???> > Maybe linuxaudio.org should  put some  'pressure' on those distro > builders to include a decent realtime kernel!> > ...> > Does someone have a good kernel for me (debian testing/ unstable)> > > > /d> _______________________________________________> Linux-audio-user mailing list> Linux-audio-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> http://lists.linuxaudio.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-audio-user

-- Michael BohleVorsitzenderjacklab e.V.
D-27572 Bremerhaven | Am Baggerloch 20
Phone/Fax: +49-471-7004937Mail: opendaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx: http://jacklab.org