Normalize from command line?

Dear List,

does anyone know of an application (or script) to normalize audio-files
from the command line? I have only come across "normalize-audio" which
does compression across multiple files, but i haven't figured out how to
raise the amplitude of a file to +/-1 without altering it's dynamics. I
am sure this could be done using a two-pass sox script, but before i
start writing my own, i wanted to know if a similar solution already exists.

Thanks for any hints,

Peter