Using jacklab + rosegarden + soundcard midi input + mother board joystick midi output

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me.

I am a novice linux user and would basically like to know how to do the following, and any applicable advice you can give me.
I would like to use my jacklab box as a midi controller as follows:

pc #1: midi-out => jacklab box: audiophile 2496 midi-in => jacklab box: motherboard joystick port   => external keyboard synth

The audiophile works fine, I now would like to get the joystick port working with midi. I have read that I need to use the snd-mpu401 driver and at http://www.ale.org/archive/ale/ale-2005-02/msg00641.html have seen how to configure it.

My questions are as follows:
1) is the alsa recompilation necessary in jacklab? Is there another way to get alsa to recognize the interface as a midi device in jacklab or is this the way to go...
2) upon getting the joystick port to work as a midi port, should I expect rosegarden to play nicely and see the new interface? I understand it *probably* should...
3) can I expect the joystick port and soundcard to both work well at the same time or should I just get an external midi interface (eg, midisport). The jacklab box is a P4/1.6ghz/768 MB if it pleases you to know...

Thanks for any help...I just don't want to play around with this stuff to find out it doesn't work well.