Re: Hardware synths

Le Samedi, 1 Décembre 2007 01:34:42 +0100,David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
> I believe it comes down to tweaking and polishing. Hardware synths> are expensive beasts, and all you get is one instance with limited > polyphony. They *have* to sound better, or be vastly superior in some > other way, or no one is going to pay that kind of money.
Could very well be.  I agree with what you're saying.  I'm workingquite often at the FPGA level interface and such so I do not see anymajor hindrance for delivering deep, rich sounds with Linux software,as long as the hardware can deliver it.
> There shouldn't be a problem getting at least as good sound out of a > softsynth, provided someone actually takes the time to tune the DSP > to perfection and program a set of really good sounds. I'm not sure > that is ever going to happen for Free/Open Source synths - but then > again, it just might if/when the community reaches that particular > critical mass.
That's the dilemna.  Too often I read that x card is supported in Linuxonly to find out that the guys managed to get bytes out of it andthat's it.
Just to be sure: I'm all for Linux and Open Source.
Cheers,
Al_______________________________________________Linux-audio-user mailing listLinux-audio-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx://lists.linuxaudio.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-audio-user