pam and jack

This is most strange to me. Weeks ago, I configured pam to allow the audio
group to operate high priority real time precesses. I could start jackd and
it would run as priority 80, for example. However recently Ardour constantly
disconnects from jack, and look at the output of top, jack seems to only be
runing at the default priority of 20, regardless of the settings I pass on
the command line. thoughts?