Re: Realtime, but many xruns when jack is started. Debian Etch

Nigel Henry escribió:
The version installed is the same as on the blog above (20070101), and the 2 files are installed, one in /etc/init.d/rtirq, and the other in /etc/sysconfig/rtirq. I believe the /etc/sysconfig directory was created when installing rtirq, as I don't rmember it being there before. I say this because with Fedora the sysconfig directory exists, and there is a bunch of files in it, and I remember looking in Debian for this directory, and couldn't find it.

Well that is probably the matter. I never cared about an /etc/sysconfig directory on debian (I changed to Debian after trying to migrate from Red Hat 6.2 to Red Hat 7). Now I am on a powerbook g3 system and /etc/sysconfig does not exist. I would bet a lot of money that we will not find it on a debian i386 system neither. I think it does not exist on debian. Actually, I got a complain about /etc/default/rtirq being not found the first time i tried to execute rtirq.sh linked from the blog above...

I think that boot directories are the main difference between debian and red-hat based systems. So if package you installed (did you installed a package? just guessing again) is not placing anything on /etc/default, it is not surprising that rtirq does not work for you on a debian system.

I also ran sysv-rc-conf as root on Etch. The rtirq entry is there, but runlevels 2,3,4,and5 are unchecked, so something isn't quite right here.

? I can't remember anything about sysv-rc-conf. On debian you need update-rc.d to set bootscripts to be executed. On red hat-based systems i think chkconfig (or so) takes care of this. If used as explained, update-rc.d will create symbolic links to start rtirq (it may be rtirq.sh) on runlevels 2-3-4-5 and to stop it on runlevels 0-1-6. You'll find a directory /etc/rcX.d for each runlevel where a symbolic link S99rtirq (or K01rtirq) will be pointing to /etc/init.d/rtirq. /etc/init.d/rtirq must exist before creating symbolic links with update-rc.d
I see also on the blog above that rtirq should be in /etc/default, but in the case of Etch it isn't.

I think this is why rtirq is not working for you. It worked for me after copying rtirq.conf file on /etc/default/rtirq, not in /etc/sysconfig/rtirq. It seems that you somehow managed to get a red hat/fedora package installed on a debian system? It could be wrong, even if versions are the same... All I can say is that rtirq.sh from tarball linked from musix blog complained about /etc/default/rtirq being not found on my debian etch system... and that debian is not fedora. You'll find no /etc/sysconfig directory on debian.
As I say. Realtime on Etch is working ok, but I'll go through the same procedure on Debian Lenny (testing), and try and fix the rtirq problem without using Rick Wright's one liner, although it's much appreciated, and works like clockwork.

I'll post back after I've played around with realtime on Lenny a bit.
So you are getting no more xruns now? That is the real point... After reading it, I would say that rtirq is a much more polished script than ours. However it does not look as setting the rtc irq frequency as explained on Florian's website.

In short:

a) please download tarball linked from musix blog.
b) untar it.
c) mv rtirq.sh /etc/init.d/rtirq
d) mv rtirq.conf /etc/default/rtirq
e) update-rc.d rtirq start 99 2 3 4 5 . stop 0 1 6 .
f) it should work at startup on any debian distro

Best regards,
Roman