Re: which apps to choose for the job and how to set things up?

Thanks a lot, Julien, for your "tutorial". I have successfully set things up and managed to get sound and all! Only problem is I have too much lag. I think I would have to install the realtime kernel, and try my USB Audiophile soundcard. I'm pretty worn out from these weeks of struggling though. Yesterday I launched my Windows laptop and within two hours had completed the MIDI to VST output process. That was so nice. I think I'll stick with it and record the VSTI-ed output in wav files, then send them over to my Linux pc for the audio recording and editing (which works very well without problems). If I ever get a problem with my laptop I'll try my hand in returning to a Linux VSTI set-up, but for now I'm exhausted, and I'd rather cross the river if my current bridge ever fails. I hope the next Ardour release will give an easier time to aspiring Linux musicians with specific needs (I realize I was asking for something pretty specific. "standard" audio and MIDI isn't that hard to get). Thankfully, the user community is very supportive! :)

Cheers,
Dominic