Re: newbie to Linux audio

Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
If you can record 24/96 and 16/44.1 at the same time, obviously having some redundant hardware, then I think you'll avoid the resampling distortion from the conversion you propose.

What kind of DVD player do you have? Is it something fancy to play 24/96?

It's just a standard Samsung DVD player that supports DVD-audio. I wanted a player that supported DVD-audio, SACD and standard CD. It was even last year's model, so I got it on a closeout for about $80.

I've not experienced much difference in digital sources. A CD player is a CD player is a CD player pretty much. Yes you can hear differences between the super-duper whiz-bang gizmo and a Radio Shack battery powered portable, but it's a lot less than the sales guys would like you to believe. The big difference in the quality of audio playback is in the loudspeakers, their room placement, the sonic qualities of the room, and to a lesser extent, the driving amplification.

There can be significant differences in phono cartridges, but this forum is dedicated to digital audio, so that discussion is totally out of scope.

Russ