Re: [LAU] Whysynth and MIDI channels

This sort of examples is complety useless and easily negated. When you
measure the size of some object, do you start from the 0 or the 1 on your
ruler ?

Nice. Just put that in your manual and see if it makes sense - get your ruler out and measure the number of channels? You have lost the point here: how is a user really supposed to know that MIDI channels should be counted from 1 or from 0? Are you expecting a user to understand that MIDI reserves 4 bits for channel selection therefore to reach 16 they must have been counted from zero. That is a stupid assumption - if more bits were available then even as a programmer I could well understand that channel zero be reserved to indicate 'isolated' and still reach channel 16, which to me would seem quite reasonable.

The 'connect everything to
everything' trick breaks down once you have more than two things to connect.

Why is that wrong? That would sound pretty much lilke a MIDI mixer function, and why should that not be done by default? Why do you think this 'trick' breaks down (it isn't a trick BTW)? MOTU has made millions selling hardware to do just this (and admittedly more). In fact MIDI was build this was to allow for layering between different synths allocated to the same channel - far from breaking down this actually enriches the capabilities of my installation. You are well of the mark my friend.

If you have a keyboard and a synth you run a MIDI cable between them. Most
people are smart enough to know this. It also allows you to play your synth
on your keyboard, and not be disturbed when I sit down beside you and switch
on my keyboard and synth. Just imagine it were different.

Just imagine it were different - you just connect your MIDI master keyboard to your synth and it works. Amazing. Just imagine that. Rather than having to check whether the master keyboard and synth are on the same channel and that the synth and master keyboard have the same concept of channel numbering. Sorry mate, OMNI was designed to allow products to interoperate with minimal intervention but more on this below - attach the cable and they work due to defaulting to OMNI, why is this not done with Unix softsynths?

Dumbing down everything is never a good idea.

Agreed, but this looks again like you have missed the point. What does this proposal have to do with dumbing down? It has not proposed simplifying anything, that would have been dumbing down. On the contrary the proposal is to have a more considerate set of defaults. As stated in my submit, that you seem to have read rather lightly, this does not affect the complexities required of a user - in the current situation the default is no connnection and you have to build the ones you want. In the proposed case you would need to use the MIDI connection tools to break the default OMIN connection before building new specific ones that you require. If it makes you feel any more 'highbrow' it actually makes things more difficult for you as a knowledgable user, which seems to be what you are after. In addition to that it makes things almost infinately simpler for someone who does not want to read 50 README files for different applications built by pedantic developers.

Regards,

N.

--
FA