Re: [LAU] Advice on hardwware components

Alexandre DENIS wrote:
On Monday 21 May 2007, david wrote:
Michael Nelson wrote:
I'm interested in using a CompactFlash-to-SATA adapter, and booting
from a CF card. Does anyone know what the speed/reliability would
be like?
I think it would be pretty slow - my CF cards seem to give only
5-6MB/sec transfer. Even my slowest hard drives run a LOT faster than
that.

The new Samsung NSSD achieve much better performance: read=53MB/s, write=30MB/s with 0.24ms access time.
<http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semiconductor/FlashSSD/ModuleType.htm>

Yes, SD is faster than CF.

Plus - CF has a limited lifespan when it comes to writing to the
card.

Modern SSD all use Wear Leveling to improve the lifespan, to get actually better results than hard disks now.

At least that's the claim. We'll see! In my relatively short (5 years) use of assorted solid state memory - I've had one CF card fail and one hard drive fail. The hard drive was about 8 years of old and had been very heavily used during its lifetime. The CF card wasn't even a year old ...

The only drawback to SSD is the price: 600EUR for 32GB is not really cheap.

No, it's not! I think a hard drive is the most cost-effective choice.

What I like about the solid state devices is that they're physically very tough - almost indestructible.

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx