Re: [LAU] [OT] a paper about FOSS

On 4/23/07, Brian Dunn <job17and9@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Brian Dunn wrote:
> this is me, trying to sound smart for my International Politics term
> paper.
> http://www.cs.okstate.edu/~dunnbp/pols_essay.pdf
> If you've nothing better to do I'd love to hear opinions.

I liked the last bit  that charles liked as well, but I did find one bit rather naive:

[if you could duplicate oil like software] "Oil would no longer have value (peace in the middle east!)".

The peace you describe - if oil suddenly had no value - would be the final peace of the dead, after the war, violence, starvation, and a mass exodus of the survivors to countries that still had a viable product to sell.

To some extent this is what the war over patents and copyright is about, except that it's only the copyright/patent owners that would starve, and the copyright creators possibly find their incomes somewhat reduced.

> /brian

Mike Taht
PostCards From the Bleeding Edge
http://the-edge.blogspot.com