Re: [LAU] Questions from an audiophile to some engineers

I learned a lot about compression on this thread.  Limited experience
suggests that light-moderate compression improves vocals, and even
heavy compression can add a lot of oomph to a bass line.  The LADSPA
compressor that has produced the best results for me is the Dyson.

Second what Geoff said.  As a musician, I've always strived to make
music pleasing to me and my friends in whatever situation it arises.
As a (newb) audio engineer, I try for the same -- a sound that pleases
me.  As a listener/fan, don't listen to what you don't like or what
doesn't sound "good" on your system, but criticising the engineering
is a little silly because nothing will sound good to everybody in
every environment.