Re: [LAU] best cheap mic(s) for acoustic / vocal recording?

On 4/12/07, Paul Winkler <pw_lists@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
For vocals, I like my MXL V67G and my Sennheiser 421.

For acoustic guitar I don't currently have a mic I really like.  The
V67G is tolerable, as is the 421, as is my MXL V57 (flatter mids than
the V67 but more harsh on top).  But none of them are really ideal for
guitar.  I've heard the small-diaphragm MXL 603 is a good value, they
go for around $100, I've been meaning to try that.  For $200 or so you
could also check out the AKG 535 which doubles as a very very nice
handheld mic.

I still want to find a good small-diaphgragm condenser. Or maybe some
ribbon mics, yum.

Thaks for all the great info and ideas! From prices here in Australia
the MXL's seem like a good idea. The Octava's get great reviews but
seem hard to find and pretty expensive here. The review of the 603
http://www.mojopie.com/603.html is glowing and they are REALLY cheap!
;) I'm not sure to get 2 603's for stereo recording  ($150!) or the
MXL2001 and 603 for $150 too. 2 small diaphragm or one of each? Guess
i also have to ask mic pre or mixer? I don't need a mixer for anything
else... so i'm thinking seperate mic pre. Is solid state or tube
better at the cheap end? A few companies seem to have $100 tube mic
pre's.

Loki