Re: [LAU] Questions from an audiophile to some engineers

On 4/11/07, Bearcat M. Sandor <HomeTheater@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Is it compression
to make things sound "louder"?

I think it's mostly this one

Are they saving money by mixing for low-end
systems figuring no one will care?

Not as much saving money but mixing for the lowest common denominator.
No one even does hard panning anymore because it might sound bad on a
car stereo or boombox with the left channel blown or whatever.

As far as the compression goes, would i do better to buy vinyl and master
it to my hard drive or is the compression done before the mastering to
vinyl takes place?

I think it's impossible to recover a poorly mastered recording.

Even in metal there are some people who still take good sound
seriously.  One of my favorites of the last ten years is Grace/Times
of Grace by Tribes of Neurot.  But I haven't heard a really good
sounding pop record since the era of "Thriller" and ABBA's "The
Visitors".

Lee